THIS TRAIL RUNS ALMOST ENTIRELY ALONG THE FORMER TRACK BED OF THE ELORRIO-APATAMONASTERIO STRETCH OF THE DURANGO-ELORRIO RAILWAY, AND IT LINKS UP WITH THE ARRAZOLA GREEN TRAIL
The Durango-Elorrio line was operational from 1905 to 1975, when it was shut down and subsequently dismantled. Forty-three years later the track bed has been brought into use as a pedestrian and cycling trail, now known as the “Trenbidearen Naturbidea”
Max. altitude: 206 m
Min altitude: 165 m
Tunnel: 120 m
Elorrio-Apatamonasterio: 4 km
To the start of the Arrazola Green Trail: 4,1 km
To the end of the Arrazola Green Trail: 9,1 km
Following the opening in July 1882 of the Bilbao-Durango railway, built by Compañía del Ferrocarril Central de Vizcaya, the company drew up a plan to extend the line, with a view to eventually linking Bilbao with Donostia-San Sebastián and the French border.
Another rail project involved the building of tracks between Durango and the iron mines of Arrazola, which opened in 1857. Rail services between Durango and Apatamonasterio began in 1903, and the last 5 km of tracks to the mines were completed in 1904.
In 1905 Compañía del Ferrocarril Central de Vizcaya opened a new branch line between Apatamonasterio and Elorrio. After Durango, trains to Arrazola and Elorrio stopped at the stations in Apatamonasterio, Arrazola and Elorrio and at halts in Abadiño and San Agustín de Etxebarria.
The Durango-Elorrio stretch was electrified in 1946, in a project designed by Italian engineer Lello Pontecorvo. This meant that all the rolling stock had to be changed. Passenger numbers increased substantially after this, and still further in the 1960s, then remained steady up to the closure of the line on 1 March 1975. The line was subsequently dismantled.